Supporting Survivors: never cancelled.
We will never cancel supporting survivors. Recently we had to cancel our Annual Celebration – our largest fundraising event of the year, but we will never cancel supporting survivors. For over forty years, 180 has been supporting survivors, and the coronavirus is not going to stop us.
Our services are needed now more than ever. Sadly we can confidently make this prediction: when family stressors increase, abusers get more abusive, and families are in greater danger. Right now many victims are trapped in their homes with their abusers. Escape plans that had been in progress are now on hold. Even breaking free for a private moment to reach out to our hotline is a frightening challenge. Yet victims are still reaching out to us and we are ready and receiving their calls for help. We also expect that as the “shelter in place” order lifts, we will experience a spike in the number of victims seeking our support and services. We will continue to be ready at a moments notice for anyone who needs our help.
So while our Annual Celebration is cancelled, supporting survivors is never cancelled:
- Our hotlines are open;
- Our emergency Safe House is fully operational;
- Families living in transitional housing are receiving consistent advocacy and frequent check-ins;
- Our therapists are delivering counseling from safe and secure remote work spaces;
- We are partnering with our local police departments and our local hospitals to provide a 180 advocate to any resident of Monmouth County who needs our support;
- We are making sure that anyone who needs a temporary restraining order during this time gets the guidance they need;
- We are rotating our crisis response team advocates every single day, and making sure that we are prepared to support any victim of sexual assault whether they present at the police station, hospital emergency room, or phone us through our sexual assault hotline.
180 is here for our community. For the most up to date announcements on our programs and services during the pandemic,
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!