Statisitcs on Domestic and Sexual Violence
Through our work with survivors, families, schools, hospitals, police municipalities, individuals and various organizations throughout Monmouth County, 180 is working to change these statistics.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men and 1 in 2 trans or non-binary people NJ will be in an abusive relationship.
- Approximately 30% of men & women in NJ experience physical violence, rape, and/or stalking by an intimate partner.
- Domestic Violence accounts for 15% of all murders in the United States.
- Half of all female homicide victims are killed by intimate partners.
TEENS & CHILDREN
- 1 in 3 adolescents is a victim of emotional, physical, or sexual abuse from a dating partner.
- Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse, and 86% said they would confide in a friend rather than a caring adult.
- 1 in 15 children is exposed to intimate partner violence each year. 90% of them witness the violence.
- Half of youth survivors of both teen dating violence and sexual assault attempt suicide, compared to 12.5% of non-abused girls and 5.4% of non-abused boys.
- Teen Dating Violence is extremely common in LGBTQ relationships – up to 50% of LGBTQ individuals will be abused by a dating partner.
- Girls and young women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience the highest rate of dating/relationship violence.
- 81% of parents believe TDV is not an issue or admit they don’t know if it’s an issue for teens.
- Over 80% of high school counselors report feeling unprepared to address incidents of abuse on their school campus.
- 50-80% of teens have reported knowing others who were involved in violent relationships.
- 57% of teens say they know of a peer who has been physically, sexually, or verbally abusive to their dating partner.
Compiled with information from:
The Center on Violence Against Women and Children, School of Social Work, Rutgers University, www.vawc.rutgers.edu
The NJ Domestic Violence Fatality and Near Fatality Review Board, www.nj.gov/dcf/providers/boards/dvfnfrb/
New Jersey Coalition to End Domestic Violence, www.njcedv.org
National DV Fatality Review Initiative, https://ndvfri.org
New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault, www.njcasa.org
One Love Foundation, www.onelove.org