2NDFLOOR® Youth Helpline Call Center
40 Hours of Training Required
A free telephone helpline to assist children, youth and young adults, ages 10-24, with their day to day concerns. Trained listeners encourage discussion, provide support and offer practical guidance. The helpline operates around the clock, every day of the year.
Description of Duties
2NDFLOOR is an anonymous helpline which was created to assist youth and young adults throughout NJ with their problems and concerns. Trained phone counselors encourage discussion, provide support and offer guidance. The helpline operates 24/7.
Description of Volunteer Opportunities
VOLUNTEER PHONE COUNSELORS: Once trained, Volunteer Phone Counselors complete at least two 4-hour shifts monthly at our call center. Shifts can be scheduled weekdays from 4 pm – midnight or weekends from noon to midnight. Volunteers answer calls on a variety of topics and provide supportive listening and guidance. Volunteers must be patient, nonjudgmental, excellent listeners who enjoy the adolescent population.
OUTREACH VOLUNTEERS: Volunteers represent 2NDFLOOR at various community, school and professional events to promote awareness of the helpline as a resource in NJ. Volunteers may also suggest or create opportunities in their communities to share 2NDFLOOR information. The outreach schedule is variable and may include weekend or evening events. Fingerprinting is required for outreach volunteers and training/information on 2NDFLOOR will be provided by the volunteer coordinator.
VOLUNTEER PHONE COUNSELOR TRAINING INFORMATION:
- Elearning Course: (10 hours) online training which allows volunteers to proceed at their convenience from their own computer.
- Classroom Training: (10 hours) held on a Saturday from 9 am – 7 pm. Presented by our Call Center Manager, the classroom training provides vital information for becoming successful on the phones.
- Shadowing: (20 hours) Volunteers complete multiple hands-on shadowing shifts with the support of our experienced staff to gain experience answering and handling a variety of calls.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have transportation to our location for all trainings and shifts.
- Fingerprinting/background check must be cleared prior to any phone or outreach work.
For more information on Volunteer Phone Counselors or Outreach Volunteers, please contact Lisa Petrone at firstname.lastname@example.org or (732) 264-4360 x 2266.
- Click on “get involved” followed by “adult volunteer” (please note that acceptance of registration does not ensure admittance into the volunteer program).